[Vorbis] Bitrate Peeling (no. really)

Paul Ellis public at ellisfoundation.com
Fri Oct 1 10:54:22 PDT 2004

Geoff Shang wrote:

> I've not looked at any of these bounty projects before, but I'dve
> thought that the whole point of having these is dependent on being
> able to see how much is in the pot already.  I too would be happy to
> put some money in, as I feel this is an important feature which would
> be extremely useful in streaming situations.

It would be great for streaming, but honestly I think the "killer app"
for peeling would be for portable music players.  You could encode at q6
or higher for your PC and peel it down to q2 for your portable.  I
really think a lot people would use this.  I will put in some money for
it.  It could be good to approach a company such as Linspire (formerly
Lindows) to see if they'd be interested in sponsoring this.  They might
be able to integrate this into their Lsongs program or something.  They
drop money in a lot of projects.

Paul Ellis