[vorbis] Is this a bug in ogg ?

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Wed May 5 16:03:41 PDT 2004

On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 03:29:57PM +0200, Andre Krause wrote:
> I have a problem i suspect to be a bug in ogg:
>
> Assume i have a simple archive "chou_s_test1_test2.pak", created by simply
> concatenating binary files together:
>
> chou_s.jpg (3403 bytes)
> test1.ogg (5196 bytes)
> test2.ogg (6128 bytes)
>
> If i place the a filepointer passed to ov_open to the beginning of
> test1.ogg, this ogg gets opened and decoded correctly. But if i place it to
> the beginning of test2.ogg, ov_open returns error code -123 (OV_EBADLINK ).
> Any idea ?

Vorbisfile only accidentally managed to make this work; having that
jpg in the stream (unencapsulated) renders the file invalid, strictly
speaking.  Other vorbis decoders are very likely to reject it and it
certainly won't work on any portable devices I'm aware of.

Regardless...  The behavior does make me curious as to why one worked
and the other did not.

I'll look at this.  Neither should have been expected to work, but the
fact I can't say why this happens might mean something more
significant.

Monty