[vorbis] About the high frq boost...

Sebastian Gesemann sgeseman at upb.de
Mon May 3 14:50:16 PDT 2004

On Mon, 3 May 2004, Jonathan wrote:

SG>> You may also want to test some (experimental) encoder versions
SG>> by Quantum Knot (aka Steven So) and others which try to reduce
SG>> the point-stereo energy boost effect. Some of these have proven
SG>> to be better than the official encoder by using double blind
SG>> tests. (check out www.hydrogenaudio.org for more details)

J> Aoyumi's aoTuVbeta2 tunings recently scored higher than QuantumKnot's
J> 3.2 tuning, and is focused primarily on Vorbis's HF noise problem, as
J> well as perfoming better than the other tested encoders in the little,
J> and not-to-be-taken-too-seriously q4 listening test at
J> http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?showtopic=20389 .  If you'd like
J> to try it out, you can get binaries and sounces from
J> http://www.geocities.jp/aoyoume/aotuv/

I've just tested the Aoyumi's aoTuV-beta2 encoder. It really seems
to compensate for the boost effect provoked by quantization. But it
still does not behave optimally when fed with orthogonal noise
(point-stereo coding results in a slight energy boost in this case)

Sebastian

--
PGP-Key-ID (long): 572B1778A4CA0707