[vorbis] Vorbis determined to be as good as MPC at 128 kbps!

Giuliano Pochini pochini at shiny.it
Thu May 27 00:56:37 PDT 2004

On 27-May-2004 Monty wrote:

> The HF boost is a modern example.  Sebastian's paper correctly
> identifies one major source of the slight HF boost people noticed
> in Vorbis some time ago. The solution he suggests is also perfectly
> workable.  However, it can also be corrected more flexibly by
> extending noise normalization to properly correct for all energy
> gains/losses during quantization, and that is the way I plan to
> handle it in the next major reference encoder release.

Most of the tweaking to reduce HF boost (at least until 3/2004) were
aimed to fix the symptom, not the cause of the problem. ie. they
were developing filters that makes the frq response flat. It's a
kludge IMO. I don't know what "extending noise normalization" means,
but I really hope it will finally fix HF boost properly because it
makes encoded files very easy to ABX.

--
Giuliano.