[vorbis] Vorbis determined to be as good as MPC at 128 kbps!

Age Bosma agebosma at home.nl
Tue May 25 08:11:29 PDT 2004

Oscar Sundbom wrote:

> On Tue, 25 May 2004 11:16:22 +1000
> Michael Smith <msmith at xiph.org> wrote:
>

>>This is very unfair. We welcome third-party development of new and better
>>encoders - but in many cases we'll (eventually) fold changes back in. Whilst
>>it's true that as the 'reference encoder' _speed_ (in terms of things like
>>highly platform-specific optimisations) isn't a real goal, high quality is.
>

> This is something I'd very much like to see. Some sort of meeting point set up
> for 3rd party developers to bring their tunings, exchange experience and then,
> when tunings have been tested, work on folding it back into the mainline code.
>
> For example, we have got Garf's tunings for q>=6 and aoTuV (sp?) tunings for
> q<=4. If work is done to merge those, we would have improvements over (almost)
> all of the quality scale.

Don't forget QKTune which is targetting mainly on the pre-echo handling
done for q 2, 3, 4, and 5
(http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/show.php/showtopic/17950).
At least among the Hydrogenaudio users this appears to become an
acceptable tuning if it comes to audio quality as well.
Attempts to combine aoTuV and QKTune are being done as we speak
(http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/show.php/showtopic/21183).

Age