[vorbis] Various Ogg Vorbis largefile notes and/or patches

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Sun May 23 23:58:38 PDT 2004

On Monday 24 May 2004 16:41, Barry Bouwsma wrote:
> The problems I've noted, to be addressed in following messages (if
> this one makes it through), include:
> *)  WAV files (that store the alleged file size in a 32-bit header
>     field) can easily be many gigs in size, but oggenc believes the
>     header value rather than the actual file size;

It does that for good reasons, though... When it didn't (in an older version)
we got bug reports because it was incorrectly using data that wasn't part of
the audio. So we can't just blindly read to the end of the file. You can
always use raw files and pass the rest of the info on the command line.

Is there actually some way to get the real data size for 'big' WAV files? Or
is there a magic constant for the data size that is used to mean 'ignore
this, just read to the end of the file'? If there is, I'd be happy to look at
a patch for that.

I'd also be unsurprised if there are places in oggenc where datatypes need
changing anyway to work properly with large files - patches for those are
very welcome regardless.

Mike