[vorbis] Tool for cutting Ogg Vorbis files

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Fri Mar 26 06:31:58 PST 2004

Cameron Patrick wrote:

| Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:
|
| | BTW, the mp3DirectCut author says this in his FAQ:
| |
| |         Can you add Ogg Vorbis support?
| |
| |         I would, but Vorbis seems to be much more difficult to
| |         cut than MP3. An MP3 can be cut everywhere and it's
| |         still playable. Cutting an Ogg file without adapting
| |         anything here and there will produce broken files. I
| |         could not find any understandable documentation of a
| |         structure in Vorbis files. If you know such docs, please
| |         let me know.
|
| That's incorrect

Actually I take that back, it might not be, I've no idea how difficult
it is. :-/  But it's definitely possible to cut vorbis files.  From
the vcut man page:

       vcut reads an Ogg Vorbis audio file and splits it at the given
       cutpoint, which is a sample number.  If the cutpoint is
       prefixed with ’+’, the cutpoint is an integer number of
       seconds.

It's part of the vorbis-tools package.

CP.