[vorbis] OGG Versus MP3

Sebastian Gesemann sgeseman at upb.de
Mon Mar 22 04:47:36 PST 2004

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Daniil V. Kolpakov wrote:

> ? ????????? ?? ??????? 19 ???? 2004 15:53 Sebastian Gesemann ???????(a):
> > IMHO it's a good idea to do so because we're usually not able to
> > perceive phase differences at higher frequencies.
>
> Huh? I've always thought it was the _low_ frequences not sensible to the phase
> information. Think of 5.1, 2.1, etc systems - they all use that fact.

You are probably mixing up these 2 things
- inability to perceive phase relations of high frequencies
- inability to locate the source of low frequencies

the first one permits use of intensity stereo (note: phase
relation gets lost but the intensity level for each channel
is preserved)

the second one permits use of only a single LFE channel
for multichannel stuff.

Sebastian

--
PGP-Key-ID (long): 572B1778A4CA0707