[vorbis] ogg123 streaming bug

Richard Smith rsmith at bitworks.com
Thu Mar 18 18:10:05 PST 2004

ogg123 seems to have a issue when streaming for long peroids of time.
If I have ogg123 up connected to a streaming server for more than 3.5
hours it begins to stutter or add blocks of static.  I've verifed this
with 2 different soundcards in both alsa oss emulation and regular oss.
  It's 100% repeatable for me.

It does not happen with xmms using libvorbis as the output plugin so it
seems to be specific to ogg123.

I verified it still exists with CVS as of a week ago.

I tried to run under valgrind but valgrind's thread support lacks
something ogg123 needs (according to valgrind)  I tried anyway and the
buffers go to 100% the sound totally munged.

I'm guessing the 3.5 hours is specific to my test machine so it may run
longer on a machine with more RAM or perhaps a different CPU.

My test machine is a Intel P4 Celeron with 128Mib of RAM.