[vorbis] OGG Versus MP3

Andrew Bainbridge andrew at deadfrog.co.uk
Thu Mar 18 05:22:07 PST 2004

Nicholas Pappas wrote:

> 	This question was asked just a few weeks ago.  If you search the
> mailing list archives you should be able to find a lot of information.

I think it was the same guy who asked a few weeks ago. I don't think
anyone answered - which is a shame because I'd like to know too. Also, I
would have thought that a explanation (at xiph.org) of why Vorbis is
technically superior to MP3 might help its further adoption.

Anyway, onto my answer...

The main problem with MP3 is that a lot of people use crappy encoders or
encoders missing VBR and joint stereo. The difference between recent
Lame VBR and Ogg Vorbis can be quite small.

Here's a comparison of Vorbis and Lame. It has a few more facts than a
lot of sites I've seen:

www.digit-life.com/articles/oggvslame/

Here's the best article I found on why Vorbis is better than MP3. It
contains the words of Christopher Montgomery himself but it is obviously
out of date - pre version 1.0.

lashdot.org/features/00/08/14/1034209.shtml