[vorbis] Hello, thanks, and how do I...

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Thu Mar 11 15:20:15 PST 2004

On Friday 12 March 2004 04:17, David Demers wrote:
> I've been looking at getting that device. Any chance you would be
> interested in doing review of it? Give impressions of it, shortfalls where
> you found them, things you would like to see added, etc.

I've got one, as does a friend of mine.

Generally, very good.

Shortfalls: the battery life is apparently pretty good for this type of device
(they claim ~15 or 16 hours for mp3, ~8-10 for ogg, I think), but this is
drastically lower than other things I've used before (discmans, minidisc
players, etc. - which last 20-40+ hours ).

Apparently the random-play functionality is pretty limited. I don't use it, so
I'm not sure how true this is.

Doesn't (currently, it would be possible in a later firmware update I suppose)
do true gapless playback.

Good points:
  No custom software needed (some is provided for windows, but I haven't used
it), it just acts as a removable (USB) hard drive. No software needed even
for firmware updates.

 Supports vorbis. This is a big point in its favour!

 Does recording - not yet common in this class of device, though some others
do this. Only to wav or mp3, though.

 Easy to use.

 Surprisingly light (slightly lighter than my previous player, a high-end
discman).

 Reliable (since upgrading to the current firmware, which fixed a number of
vorbis bugs, I haven't had any problems at all - no crashes, hangs, etc.)

Anyway, all in all - highly recommended.

Mike