[vorbis] WMA9 versus OGG

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo tor-einar at jarnbjo.de
Mon Mar 1 01:39:04 PST 2004

The sample rate is just stored as a 32 bit field in the Vorbis header, so in
theory the format itself will support any sample rate. On the other side,
the encoder must consider the sample rate of the input data to apply the
psycoaccoustic model properly and I'm not really sure if oggenc does that.
That may explain why oggenc behaves worse than WMA on low bitrates, which is
also my experience (with low bitrates meaning down to <10kbps).

Tor