[Vorbis] Extension proposal - partly serious

Cameron Patrick cp
Sun Jun 20 19:23:06 PDT 2004

<20040620190623.GF9120 at xiph.org>
<200406211332.17596.jwm at eslnz.co.nz>
<20040621021500.GH9120 at xiph.org>

Arc Riley wrote:

| On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 01:32:17PM +1200, John Morton wrote:
| > The funny old thing about the notion of a file type is that it tends to be
| > related to things what you use the data in the file for, or what sort of
| > program you need to make the file do something useful.
|
| That's right.  You need a media player.

I don't /want/ just One Media Player.  Microsoft would have me use
Windows Media Player for everything, but I don't think much of that
idea either.

| Anything with OggFile support can play any form of media, wether
| it's audio which lacks a video stream or video that lacks an audio
| stream.  The old days where you have audio-only media players is
| pretty much phased out, with the exception of hardware players.

I happen to like text-based audio players but obviously text-based
video players are not practical.  I'm probably in a minority here, but
I'm sure there are many others who prefer their audio and video
players to be separate.  Watching a movie and listening to music are
two quite distinct activities for most people; music is often on in
the background while you're doing something else, whereas watching a
video essentially rules out doing anything else at the same time.

Programmes that attempt to cater to both are almost universally bad at
one or the other.  Sure, they might use the same library to decode all
kinds of Ogg media, but that's just an implementation detail to me-the-user.

Cheers,

Cameron.