oggenc bug (was: Re: [Vorbis] Extension proposal - partly serious)

Michael Smith msmith
Sun Jun 20 19:05:07 PDT 2004

<20040620190623.GF9120 at xiph.org>
<200406201803.27968.tcfelker at mtco.com>

On Monday 21 June 2004 09:03, Tom Felker wrote:
> BTW, I just discovered a very relevant oggenc bug which can cause data
> loss:
>
> $ flac --ogg foo.wav
> $ ls
> foo.ogg
> foo.wav
> $ oggenc foo.ogg
> Opening with ogg module: Ogg FLAC file reader
> Encoding "foo.ogg" to
>          "foo.ogg"
> at quality 3.00
>
> ...and oggenc hangs, and truncates the file!  What would be the proper
> response here?  Should I have to specify an output file?  What if I was
> doing a bunch of files?  Should I have to specify an output directory
> (oggenc can't do this yet)?  Must I make a script?  See how much easier
> separate extensions would make things?

Bringing up bug reports in the middle of flamewars that none of the developers
are participating in (because we've gone over this about a thousand times
before, and we're not interested in wasting any more of our time) is not very
productive.

Fortunately, I'm still at least scanning some of the messages here.

This is obviously a nasty bug, I'll go and fix it now (it doesn't cause a hang
here, but does truncate the file).

Mike