[Vorbis] .ogg extension and Theora

Hugo van der Merwe hugo
Fri Jun 18 08:01:35 PDT 2004

<000401c454a9$355dea50$05649c3f at computername>
<20040617231837.GM23020 at griffon>
<200406180241.39823.haxe at pansensack.de>
<20040618004942.GK26977 at patrick.wattle.id.au>

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 08:49:42AM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> I think that truncating the "ogg" bit in the extension is kind of ugly
> and not really necessary these days.  How about ".oggv" or even ".oggvid"?
> Not that it matters ;-)

Yea, I like that. .ogv is not as obviously ogg as .oggv - so you can at
least apply the "market ogg by picking a good extension" argument (as
was previously mentioned to promote theora vs DivX).

For the record, I've heard people ask "what codec do I need to play a
.ogm file?" (when they already had DivX) - advertising theora in the
filename is not important, those that do video encoding are those who
matter, and they know all about codecs, they won't be confused in
thinking ".ogm" is divx...

My apologies for not threading nicely - I've replied to more than just
the email I've just replied to...

Hugo