[Vorbis] .ogg extension and Theora

Dan Hollis goemon
Thu Jun 17 17:07:38 PDT 2004

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Arc Riley wrote:
> Using your example, how would one catagorize a file that was part
> audio-only, part video-only?  What if it contained almost all audio but
> had a single still-frame attached to it?  Does that change the
> extension?  What if the user wants this included in their audio
> directory, but because of some "standard rule" it became a video file
> because of a single frame of MNG or a little (optional) text?

This is likely to be so rare as to be a non issue. We are talking about
the most common case, and the current barrier to wider adoption / ease of
use of ogg/vorbis/theora in existing systems, frameworks, and software.

You seem to be still missing the big picture, obsessing over contrived
situations and ignoring the most common/most likely situations.

Lets worry about the 99.99999% common case instead of hassling over the
.00001% case.

Nothing is preventing *you* from removing *all* extensions from all of
*your* files since you are so confident in the file metadata to identify
it and always using whatever tools you write to parse them always for
every trivial file and directory operation.

Everyone else would rather have easily identifiable content at a glance
with 'ls' without having to pipe everything through a program which reads
the ogg container of every file and parses them (not to mention the
enormous performance hit this would entail).

We're just talking about naming conventions after all.

-Dan