[Vorbis] .ogg extension and Theora

noprivacy at earthlink.net noprivacy
Thu Jun 17 08:26:52 PDT 2004

<3143C89E-C061-11D8-8350-00039317863E at suespammers.org>

From: "Anthony DeRobertis" <asd at suespammers.org>

> > Or, in a pinch, we could just call the video ones .ogv or .ogm or
> > something.
>
> .ogm is already used for videos, btw. I think it normally is Ogg audio
> with AVI video of some sort.

DivX video with ogg audio, isn't it?

If so, then that's pretty well established and it might be better to use a
different extension indicate a Xiph version.  Just to seperate Theora from
being Divx.

.oga for audio only and .ogv for audio and video?  Close enough to '.ogg' to
be recognised.

But still, it might be nice to have some extension that is somewhat
descriptive of Theora video.  .OGT perhaps?

Is there still any great reason to require just three letter extensions?
Probably not too many DOS, Win3 or Win95 users around anymore.  Any OS or
app problems?  Maybe, because people have habbitually used 3 letters for a
long time.