[Vorbis] .ogg extension and Theora

noprivacy at earthlink.net noprivacy
Thu Jun 17 08:33:37 PDT 2004

From: "PrussianSnow" <1edm at qlink.queensu.ca>

> >Windows 2000 (although it's the same for all of them) doesn't read in
> >any mime-type to correctly identify a file, it just uses the extension.
>
> What if, at least for Windows, someone wrote a simple application which
when
> associated with .ogg files and an .ogg file was opened simply read enough
of
> the ogg stream to identify the type of content and then launched an
> appropriate (and selectable) application?

Windows ME and XP do that for .AVI files.  So it can show video properties
(rather than launching seperate programs.)

And when it encounters a broken one, it can take a minute or two for it to
finally decide that it doesn't recognise it.  During that time, you can't
delete the file, you can't rename it, you can't do anything with it.  All
because Windows actually looks inside the file for properties instead of
just accepting the file extension.

This is considered to be an extremely annoying bug with people who work with
video.

The point is, problems like that can easily occur in routines that examine
files & broken files.  And the OS is definetly not the place for those kinds
of bugs.  The simpler the better.

> This would give users their expected operation at least on launch. It

I don't think most users expect a single extension to launch different
programs.  I don't think any user expects that.

One extension always launches one specific program.