[Vorbis] .ogg extension and Theora

PrussianSnow 1edm
Thu Jun 17 04:52:48 PDT 2004

>Paul E Wrote
[snip]
>Windows 2000 (although it's the same for all of them) doesn't read in
>any mime-type to correctly identify a file, it just uses the extension.
[snip]

What if, at least for Windows, someone wrote a simple application which when
associated with .ogg files and an .ogg file was opened simply read enough of
the ogg stream to identify the type of content and then launched an
appropriate (and selectable) application?

This would give users their expected operation at least on launch. It
doesn't address the 'sort by type' issue but I think some Windows 'shell
extensions' could help this at least in XP where the 'details' view of a
folder can include things like 'artist', 'album', 'bitrate', etc.

PrussianSnow