[Vorbis] How to use Vorbis without Ogg

Michael Smith msmith
Mon Jun 14 20:13:27 PDT 2004

<20031217173408.GA827 at erdos.home>
<BAY1-DAV52VfXipmzl10003b068 at hotmail.com>

On Monday 14 June 2004 01:41, V?ctor BT wrote:
> Hi! I'm a newbie with Vorbis, and I'd like to know how can I use Vorbis
> without encoding into Ogg packets. I must send vorbis sound over a protocol
> who uses RTP, so I don't need Ogg at all.
>
> Thank you very much!

The libvorbis APIs require that you use ogg_packet structures, but those
aren't really tied too deeply to ogg - the packing of those ogg_packets into
a bitstream is done in libogg, and you don't need to use that.

So you just need to take the packets output by the encoder, and write them out
as you want. See ogg/include/ogg/ogg.h for the declaration of the ogg_packet
- this has all the information (notable packet->packet and packet->bytes,
though the other information is needed for various things too) you need.

Mike