[vorbis] Vorbis determined to be as good as MPC at 128 kbps!

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Tue Jun 1 10:36:46 PDT 2004

> The HF boost is a modern example.  Sebastian's paper correctly
> identifies one major source of the slight HF boost people noticed in
> Vorbis some time ago.

Using some perceptual models, yes.  Using other models, not at all.

> The solution he suggests is also perfectly workable.

Workable, but that doesn't mean anything.  A simple noise gate
would work even better!  (Using his model.  I haven't spent the
time necessary to evaluate if it actually sounds any better).

> However, that release
> is still some time off (as OggFile is my current priority), so it's
> *perfectly reasonable* to use Sebastian's improvement now... however,
> folding it into reference immediately means that I have to rip my
> ongoing work out and put in Sebastien's for a release, then for the
> next release rip Sebastian's approach back out and put mine back in to
> get back to the long-term approach.

Doesn't the new source control tool simplify working on branches?  <g>

> ...and from a simple technical basis, people come up with all sorts of
> conspiracy theories.  Conspiracy theories make Baby Jesus cry.

Hey, that's why this thread isn't on vorbis-dev...

/me goes back into hiding.