[Vorbis] brainfart #67453 - hyper-index

Haxe haxe
Mon Jul 26 13:58:53 PDT 2004

<200407261847.42274.haxe at pansensack.de>
<20040726175745.GF971 at xiph.org>

Oh sorry Arc, this mail should have gone to the vorbis list,
so once again:...

On Monday 26 July 2004 19:57, you wrote:
> The command for this has been in UNIX for a very, very long time.
> You don't even need libogg/libvorbis to use it:
>
> # cat track1.ogg track2.ogg track3.ogg >album.ogg

Yes, I know that, and it is a very good feature. But I was explicitly
talking about a trackmark index that doesn't require to scan through
the whole file.

The bigger your file is, the more useful such a trackmark feature can
get. But also, the bigger your file is, the longer it takes to seek
through all the data for logical stream boundaries. Thus, it can be
very useful to have an index of logical trackmarks at the beginning of
a seekable file as an optional feature.

Hauke Hachmann