[Vorbis] Tag encoding

Kyungjoon Lee kjoonlee
Thu Jul 22 20:36:09 PDT 2004

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 04:51:16 +0200, Bj?rn Lindstr?m
<bkhl at elektrubadur.se> wrote:
> I'd like someone to clear up, or point me to some document clearing up,
> the character encoding for tags.
>
> In some of my OGG:s, non-ASCII characters show up like this:
>
> ? -> a
> ? -> "a
> ? -> "o
>
> etc.
>
> While when I set new tags, they later all show up as '#'. What kind of
> encodings are used in these cases. Which is preferred?
>
> (I have no LC_* environment variables set, btw.)

Use a UTF-8-aware program to tag the files. You could try using
vorbiscomment in a LANG=sv_SE.UTF-8 environment, or using vim to save
tagfiles in UTF-8 and use vorbiscomment --raw to add the tags from the
files.

(sending also to vorbis at xiph.org)