[Vorbis] vorbis 1.1 rc 1 now tagged in SVN

ben-extra at MIT.EDU ben-extra
Thu Jul 15 14:24:34 PDT 2004

>On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, Monty wrote:
>
>>  c) AoTuV introduced quality ranges down to -2; the 1.1 Xiph
>> libvorbisenc implements the same modes but maps them down to -1 as in
>> previous Xiph releases.  The bitrate of quality -1 in 1.1 is similar
>> to quality -1 in 1.0.1 but the quality of the output is improved.

When I first started using vorbis, I understood one idea was that the
audio quality at a given "q" level would always remain the same,
regardless of encoder improvements.  Thus, the approach in c) above
seems to be the wrong approach - the bitrate at -1 might decrease, but
the quality should remain the same.

I poked around the vorbis.com site, and found this reference, which
seems to support my memory:

http://www.vorbis.com/faq.psp#quality

Am I misunderstanding the situation here, or has the intent of the q
levels changed?

-Ben Blout