[vorbis] Testing of Merged GT3b1 and 1.0.1 oggenc

Stephen So s.so at griffith.edu.au
Fri Jan 23 17:38:55 PST 2004

Hi everyone,

Recently I made an attempt at merging the tunings of GT3b1 into the
official Xiph.org 1.0.1 libvorbis code.   While 99% of the GT3b1 tunings
are independent of 1.0.1, there is one particular value
(_psy_noiseguards) which affects the whole quality range.  I've chosen
to use the 1.0.1 values since they changed since 1.0.  Therefore, files
encoded in GT3b1 mode (q 5 and above) are slightly larger than normal
GT3b1 files.

I would appreciate it if some people could test the quality of this
encoder and make sure that not only are there no breaks in quality, but
that this encoder behaves (quality-wise) the same as both 1.0.1 and
GT3b1 in their respective quality ranges.  Also, try encoding at lower
sampling rates.

At q -1 to 4, oggenc will use the Xiph.org 1.0.1 tunings
At q 5 to 10, oggenc will use the Sjeng.org GT3b1 tunings, which has
better pre-echo and transient handling.
(Between 4 and 5, there will be a mix between the two)

The thread at hydrogenaudio.org, where I announced this is at
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/show.php/showtopic/17824

Windows and Linux binaries are available at Rarewares
(http://rarewares.hydrogenaudio.org), with special thanks to John for
verifying, compiling, and uploading. :)

Please note that this is experimental and the quality of the files is
uncertain.  The vendor tag has the word EXPERIMENTAL so that files are
tagged appropriately. :)

Steve.

Stephen So, BEng(Hons)

PhD Student,
Signal Processing Laboratory,
School of Microelectronic Engineering,
Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology,
Griffith University, Nathan Campus,
Brisbane, QLD, Australia, 4111.

Phone: +61-7-3875 3754
E-mail: s.so at griffith.edu.au