[vorbis] Ogg checksum thingie needed

Mike Linksvayer ml at gondwanaland.com
Mon Jan 12 12:54:23 PST 2004

On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 05:23:31PM +0100, Martin Keienburg wrote:
> * Bitzi (http://www.bitzi.com) has a utility called bitcollider, which
> creates all sorts of checksums for a given file.  Among the checksums is
> one called bz:audio_sha1 which ignores non-audio parts of an audio file
> and seems to support Ogg Vorbis files
>
>   Public CVS at http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/bitcollider
>   Sourcecode at http://bitzi.com/developer/code

The bitcollider vorbis code does not calculate audio_sha1.  There's
an old bug noting this
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=480233&group_id=21211&atid=121211>.
I'd be very happy if someone contributed the code to take care of
this.

> * MusicBrainz (http://www.musicbrainz.org) uses the mbtagger utility,
> which creates an audio signature for audio files (including Ogg Vorbis
> files).
> I have no idea how this exactly works, but part of the process uses TRM
> fingerprinting from relatable.com, which is closed source.

TRM calculates a fingerprint based on acoustic properties rather
than raw bits.  In many cases entirely different encodings (e.g.,
mp3 and vorbis) of the same song will obtain the same fingerprint.
When you just want to identify a song this is very useful, but you
must be willing to tolerate the occasional false identification.

It'd be really cool if someone developed a robust open source audio
fingerprinting technology, but this is a really big job.  AFAIK the
only attempt was songprint, and it is dead
<http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=544581&forum_id=6228>.

Mike (also ml at bitzi.com)

--
  Mike Linksvayer