[vorbis] How to split an Ogg Vorbis stream?

John Morton jwm at eslnz.co.nz
Fri Jan 9 14:43:44 PST 2004

On Saturday 10 January 2004 05:55, Robert Jessop wrote:
>  > Ah... Now that I know that there's at least one other person in the
>  > world who does this sort of thing, it's time to update my xmms vorbis
>  > plugin fork with the patch that treats distinct logical streams as
>  > separate playlist entires...
>  >
>  > John
>
>  Just had an idea:
>
>  Optionally, the playlist entries could look like a tree so that you can
>  tell the difference between many files and one file with many parts.
>  i.e:
>
>  File 1
>  + File 2
>
>  |- Song 1
>  |- Song 2
>  |- Song 3
>
>  File 3

I'm not really convinced that information is all that interesting to most
people; what matters at the playlist level are songs, and where they come
from hand how they're stored are fairly irrelevant details to the user. The
file info dialog should tell you, but only if you bother too look.

And it would be a major hack to xmms's playlist code. Personally I think the
current xmms codebase is an evolutionary dead end, so I'm not about to
attempt it.

What seems to matter to people is that sometimes they want to concatenate
several vorbis files together to have that considered one track, and that
Audacity's lossless vorbis editing can produce bitstreams that are supposed
to be considered to be one track but contain several logical bitstreams.

I'm going to handle those cases by having three modes. One is the current
behaviour, the second is to treat each logical stream as a playlist entry,
and the third is to treat all the logical streams from the first one with a
comment to just before the next one with comment as one track. There's a bit
of work to do to the playlist entry generator and to the seek handling to
make it work, but I'm not far away.

John