[vorbis] Ogg checksum thingie needed

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Wed Jan 7 21:50:23 PST 2004

On Thursday 08 January 2004 12:07, Björn Lindström wrote:
> I need some sort of utility to calculate a checksum of an Ogg file.
>
> Two differently encoded Ogg:s should give different checksums, but the
> same file with different tags should give the same result.
>
> (The serial number doesn't work here, obviously. I need something that
> is changed if a bit of the file is lost.)

Could you explain why you need this?

The ogg framing layer has checksums already embedded in it - so if part of the
file is corrupted or missing, it's easily detected (see, for example, ogginfo
- it'll let you know some of this information, though not currently all).

If you really need this for some reason - and I'm assuming you want a tool for
vorbis, not for general-purpose-ogg - then it'd be very simple to write one.
Just calculate some sort of hash (perhaps an MD5) over the packet data for
all packets in the stream except the headers.

Mike