[vorbis] Bitrate stripping?

John Morton jwm at eslnz.co.nz
Fri Jan 2 06:18:29 PST 2004

On Friday 02 January 2004 14:13, Arc Riley wrote:
>  On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 12:25:40PM +1300, John Morton wrote:
>  > Right now
>  > it would be one of a number of nice features vorbis has, along with
>  > comments that don't suck, easy replaygain support, better quality to
>  > size than most of the non-AAC competition. It might even be that way in
>  > a year, but two years from now? I think encoder optimizations, monster
>  > portables and IceShare will make it irrelevant for most people.
>
>  I don't think IceShare would make bitrate peeling irrelevant.

Not by itself, but combined with ever increasing cycles/bandwidth/storage for
your dollar, they all will make it irrelevant in 2-3 years.

>  Especially for streaming, there's alot to be gained by being able to
>  send a single Ogg stream to Icecast and have it do the peeling on the
>  fly.  For files, even, bitrate peeling would reduce storage space by
>  allowing you to store just one copy of the media and have the IceShare
>  servlet do the peeling as needed.

This is true, but how long will itbe compelling? If bit peeling work were to
start today, I won't expect the tools to reach production quality for six
months, and be fully deployed for another six. And that's not going to happen
as OggFile and Vorbis tuning are apparently the current priorities. The sad
fact is that by the time bit peeling becomes a priority enough to implement
it won't be far away from being just another nice but unimportant feature.

>  I also think we'll be seeing IceShare hitting the mainstream by this
>  comming Summer.  We're pretty close to having a working system setup,
>  and it can't be much longer before we begin work on writting plugins for
>  media players/etc.

This will be very cool.

John