[Vorbis] Does Ogg Vorbis support 5.1 surround?

Paul Ellis public
Thu Aug 5 10:17:37 PDT 2004

reply-to address?  It drives me crazy.

Go to http://dspguru.doom9.net/ and get Besweet.  It will take just
about anything and make a 5.1 (really a 6 channel) Vorbis file.  But if
you want it in a movie like that I think your only option is to use .OGM
as your video container, that can be found at
http://tobias.everwicked.com/.  And there are some good guides at
http://www.doom9.net under the audio section on how to do all of this.
I've taken some of my DVDs and compressed them down with Divx/Vorbis
into an OGM file so that I can fit more on my laptop hard drive and it
works quite well.  I get encode 5.1 Vorbis with hardly any higher total
bitrate than for stereo MP3.  Of course it helps when most of the time
most of the channels are silent.  Although having 5.1 on my laptop
doesn't make a world of difference, but I figured it didn't take any
more time to do it that way, and that way if I ever uploaded them to my
Xbox I could watch the movies with surround sound from it.

Paul Ellis