[vorbis] Why is Vorbis development slow?

engdev engdev at bigpond.net.au
Tue Sep 30 15:46:35 PDT 2003

There seems to be strong acceptance (by Xiph only? or by others as well?)
that it is fine for Monty to be the "keeper of all knowlege in his head"...

> that. I too learn better from documentation than from code. But who's
> going to write it? Monty could easily, but we'd rather he just improve
> the encoder. That's a more efficient use of his skill and talent and
> more interesting to him as well. As a stand-in for the project's

Yes, I'll bet that writing code is far more interesting. But as pointed out
by another contributor...

> Sorry Ralph, but that is most short-sighted and akin
> to commercial suicide. Let's say that Vorbis continues
> as it has been for the past year, with major
> developments being made by one man and occasional
> support from a handful of others. This time next year
> Vorbis will have edged along, while AAC's *team* of
> developers will have pushed their codec much further
> forward.

What if Monty decides to move on... or he is hit by the proverbial bus... if
nobody else on this planet (perhaps Garf) knows how to progress Vorbis, then
it will die. It is an excellent codec, and does not deserve this possible
fate. I *personally* think it is the higher priority to get the information
(ie: documentation) out of Monty's head!

I also realise that Vorbis (Xiph) is on a shoestring, whereas AAC has the
financial might of suing lawyers and patent fees to employ their "team".

On the list it has been mentioned that Monty has "some AAC killer tricks" up
his sleeve. Does ANYONE else know what they are? If not, I rest my case.

Owen.