[vorbis] bit rate

Paul E public at ellisfoundation.com
Mon Sep 22 14:48:52 PDT 2003

Graham Mitchell wrote:

>>could someone give me the defintion of bitrate, and explain me why the
>>bitrate is variable in vorbis?
>>

>Beni gave an excellent explanation, but I should also plug my own Vorbis
>introduction, which spends a fair amount of time discussing bitrates.
>	http://grahammitchell.com/writings/vorbis_intro.html
>
>As to why it is variable in Ogg Vorbis, the short and sweet version is
>"because some passages are harder to encode than others, and it's foolish
>not to 'save' bits on easier sections so you can use them on tougher
>sections instead."

You need to update this part: "Anecdotal evidence indicates that most
Windows users play audio using Windows Media Player, which doesn't
support Ogg Vorbis files by default (though I'm told it's possible to
get support working, at least with older versions of WMP)."

It is very easy to get vorbis working with Windows Media Player
(although I don't do it that way, Winamp 2.8+ is better).  It actually
works the best with WMP 9 in my opinion.  In previous versions you could
play but not do a playlist.  All that is required is that you download
and install the DirectShow Filters available at tobias.everwicked.com.
It is a very painless install.  It actually makes it so almost any media
player in Windows that uses the built in codecs (ie ZoomPlayer Media
Player Classic, etc) will play Vorbis.

Paul