[vorbis] SHN

estokesAA eBay at surlygeek.com
Fri Sep 19 08:42:44 PDT 2003

Raena Lea-Shannon wrote:
> I am interetsed to know views on how does best quality ogg compression compare
> with SHN or whether this is this really comparing apples with oranges because
> SHN does not compress that greatly?
>
> I am on a Music list  that is doing a Tape Tree.

apples/oranges. Vorbis will usually compress much "smaller"
because it is "lossy" compression, meaning it discards audio data
that isn't considered significant.

"Lossy" compression is not desireable for tape/CDR trees, which
want exact duplication without generational quality loss. SHN is
non-lossy.

I use & recommend FLAC, which is open source, non-lossy, and
compresses a little better than SHN. FLAC, like Vorbis, is
currently Xiph's baby.

FLAC info:
http://flac.sourceforge.net/news.html

Non lossy methods compared:
http://flac.sourceforge.net/comparison.html
(Note: Shorten is the correct name for SHN.)

 > I guess Grateful dead have made SHN the cult leader format.

Phish have embraced the FLAC. As Phish seem to be the new Dead, I
consider the torch passed.

Es.