[vorbis] Vorbis vs Speex

J C Fitzgerald v7022 at wave.co.nz
Sun Sep 14 23:29:43 PDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 08:52:23AM +1000, engdev wrote:

> MP3 beats Speex at data rates above about 15-20 kbps.
> Speex beats MP3 at rates 8kbps to around 15kbps
> MP3 won't go as low as speex (all the way to 2.1kbps).
>
> What sort of bitrates were you looking at for your Vorbis/Speex comparisons?

Because I'm file based, bandwidth isn't a constraint for me.  I've found
that on average, a 32kHz sample encoded with Speex q10 and Vorbis q1
give files of roughly the same size on my material.  Because Vorbis is
VBR and I found I had to use Speex CBR, the bit rates aren't directly
comparible, but they generally fell into the 45-65 kbps range - well
above the MP3/Speex cross-over value you have found.

John