[vorbis] Vorbis vs Speex

J C Fitzgerald v7022 at wave.co.nz
Sat Sep 13 22:20:42 PDT 2003

On Sat, Sep 13, 2003 at 11:17:44PM -0500, Stan Seibert wrote:

> These are statements that could be equally said about Vorbis 18 months
> ago.

Agreed, but it's only now that Speex vs Vorbis has become an issue for me.

> > *  Unexpected non-spoken components trigger a switch to Vorbis anyway, ...
>
> What do you mean by this?  Is this a feature of some software you are
> using?  That would actually be very interesting.

Alas, it's not a software feature but a purely manual hassle.

Sometimes when recording what I think is going to be purely spoken
material something non-spoken is introduced; a excerpt from a movie
or advertisement, a bird call, a pulsar, or even some background noise
to which the speaker refers.  These are all better handled by Vorbis,
and because I would be recording at 32kHz in anticipation of using
Speex, it means either starting over or changing the sample rate later.
So always recording at 44.1kHz is going to be less of a hassle.

> One format to rule them all, eh?  :)

One can but hope.  :-)