[vorbis] Why is Vorbis development slow?

Graham Mitchell graham at grahammitchell.com
Tue Sep 30 17:02:44 PDT 2003

> It seems that there isn't even a belief that something
> has to be done about Monty being the Vorbis bottleneck!

Agreed.  From my perspective, nothing has to be done about this.  And
furthermore, even if something should, nothing *can* be done unless the
money fairy comes by and offers to pay Monty (and the other developers, who
have certainly worked quite hard for even less pay) to work on Vorbis as he
sees fit.  Sort of like how Linus Torvalds and Larry Wall are employed.

> There's already an encoder. It's tuning that Vorbis is
> behind on so that's what I suggested is documented.
> I *would* do it myself if I understood it well enough.

And I'm suggesting you couldn't do it, even if it *were* documented beyond
your wildest imagination.  Call me cynical, I guess.  And that's nothing
personal, I just believe that anyone capable of contributing meaningfully
already is.

> Indeed, and despite people missing my point I don't
> think I can be any clearer so I'll climb back in my
> box now.

I think I understand your point, I just don't agree.

> I get the feeling this list would prefer me to lay
> low for a while.

Well, you hold a viewpoint that few of us seem to agree with.  And, despite
continued discussion, you either don't understand our viewpoint or continue
to disagree.  (Of course, the same could be said about us.)  So further
discussion seems pointless.  We should just agree to disagree about this
matter.

However, I would like to thank you for continuing to take the time to try to
explain your opinion and respond to all of us.  Part of what makes the open
development model so excellent is that you're free to post your suggestions
here, and we're free to argue about them.  Your messages haven't been
censored or deleted or sanitized, and they'll all go into the archives to be
preserved for posterity.  And that's important.

And finally, of course, despite me defending how Monty and the rest of Xiph
have decided to play things for the last year, the fact remains that Monty
will do what he wants.  He'll read this thread, and that may influence his
thinking for the future.  Who knows?

In closing, since this thread appears to be ending, I'll seal its fate for
certain by intentionally running afoul of Godwin's law.  Thus forfeiting the
discussion, making you the winner.

"Hitler."

:)

--
Graham Mitchell - computer science teacher, Leander High School
"It is not possible to be 'incidentally a Christian'. The fact of