[vorbis] Why is Vorbis development slow?

John Ripley jripley at rioaudio.com
Tue Sep 30 04:15:45 PDT 2003

I assume that's supposed to be me :)

> You didn't implement Floor-0 either, did you ?

It didn't seem worth the effort, seeing as I don't have any floor-0 files
anyway. I notice that Tremor has trouble running real-time on embedded
(portable) players when it encounters floor-0 files. I should think it's
possible to get it much faster, but the algorithm itself doesn't exactly
lend itself to being efficient.

I had to look at the reference code for the residue packet decode. The
pseudocode was far too mangled to make head or tail of back then, and
there's a lot of "ok" edge cases to handle (premature end-of-packet being
"ok" really complicates matters). I think it has been corrected now.

I'm now quite tempted to properly finish off my decoder and use it instead
of Tremor in the portables I work on, if I could only work out the rights
nightmare that would ensue...

- John Ripley.