[vorbis] bit rate

Tyler Knott vault-responce at charter.net
Thu Sep 25 16:15:54 PDT 2003

engdev wrote:

>Yes,
>
>It has been said many times on this list that Vorbis is naturally VBR. But I
>was under the impression that streaming perfomed best using CBR.
>
>So, why?

While Vorbis is nativly VBR is still sounds pretty decent in CBR/ABR
modes(and certainly much better than MP3).  Vorbis is also the only
non-proprietary lossy codec other than MP3(which is proprietary to some
extent) to support streaming.  It also uses the Ogg container format
which was designed from the start for use with streaming.  And coming
soon, Vorbis 1.1 will sound much better at lower bitrates making it even
better for streaming.

BTW, while we're on 1.1, how long until we can see that release?