[vorbis] Re: Portable recording with a laptop

Colin D Bennett colin at radsoft.com
Tue Sep 16 12:29:04 PDT 2003

Martin Blackwell wrote:

>For laptop recording, check out the Mbox from Digidesign- I've used it
>myself on a G4, and two different mac laptops for live recording & mixing.
>Its windows compatible as
>well- you can't go wrong with it, but it might be out of your price range.
>
>http://www.digidesign.com/

Pretty nice. Not even too outrageously expensive. But the thing is, I
run Linux. And it looks like Digidesign doesn't support Linux. Maybe
Linux has a driver for the Mbox, but then I'm still paying for all the
Digidesign software that comes with the Mbox that I won't use.

I think I'll go with the M-Audio or another USB sound device.

Right now I'm using Audacity (http://audacity.sf.net). I like its
multitrack editing, but it has been very unstable for me, it crashes a
lot, the amplify tool clips the sound all the time, floating point sound
gets clipped and sounds weird, the compress tool doesn't seem to work at
all, and so on. (I've tried everything, at least 6 or 7 different
versions, RPMs, compiled from CVS, etc.) So I'd really like a better
tool. Is there any better sound editor out there (for Linux)?

Thanks for the info.