[vorbis] How to calculate exact bitrate/filesize w/ Vorbis? Plz help

Tony dark4venger at netscape.net
Sun Sep 14 11:42:27 PDT 2003

Hi,

I'm quite familiar w/ mp3 cbr/abr/vbr encoding, as well as mpeg4 (cbr/vbr,etc). And I can always calc the bit rate for a given file size with:

file size * 8000 / length in seconds = kbits/sec
Works great w/ mpeg4 + mp3.

BUT FOR THE LIFE OF ME: I cannot get oggenc (1.0x version) to give me the file size I want. I calc. it with the above formula, and nothing comes out right. Then I do ratios: if I give 80kbit + I get 160 meg file (and I want a 100 meg file), then i give: x=100*80/160= 50kbit, yet I don't get a 100meg file.

Help. Am I missing something? Maybe coz I'm new to Ogg. Please help me figure it out, coz I definately hear it beating mp3 hands down on some sample tests (of movies) that I've done.

PS1. Please CC me at: dark4venger _at_ netscape.net as I'm not subscribed to this mailing list. thanks

PS2. is there _any_ way to put ogg into avi?  I realize .ogm is the way to go, but 1) someone needs the extra filters (win32, linux is no problem), and 2) both oggmux (win32) and oggtools (linux) produce .ogm files which play like shit under win98 + mediaplayer2 6.4.07.xxx   [they work just fine w/ Linux + Mplayer 0.9x + CVS versionz)

Thanks in advance