[vorbis] Should Speex VBR Introduce Distortion?

J C Fitzgerald v7022 at wave.co.nz
Tue Sep 9 15:07:38 PDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 03:32:14PM -0500, Tyler Knott wrote:

> Speex isnt' really meant to encode laughter & clapping so it isn't tuned
> for l&c which is why it sounds so bad in VBR mode(it thinks it can use
> less bits to represent the sound acuratly than it needs).  VAD and DTX
> shouldn't really matter.  If you need to use VBR then try a higher
> quality setting.

Yeah, I was going to say this myself in the original post, but decided
that if Speex could handle it just fine without VBR then turning VBR
on shouldn't make any significant difference to the quality of the
resultant audio.  VBR could be viewed as an optimisation and so the
usual optimistation rules apply, but maybe it isn't.

[BTW, I don't believe your reply is OT.]