[vorbis] Desirable Properties of a Real Metadata Format

Oscar Sundbom oscar.sundbom at swipnet.se
Fri Oct 17 05:47:33 PDT 2003

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 22:45:11 -0700 (PDT)
"Nathan I. Sharfi" <nisharfi at csupomona.edu> wrote:

> Does anyone have any idea how to deal with track num, er, indices like "9a,
> 9b", &c.? The best I can suggest is sorting numerically (i.e., not
> lexicographically) and then allowing the inclusion of some sort of
> comparison function...

I propose using two "tags"/values/whatever (no, not Vorbis tags).
Either order and name, order being a zero-based (or perhaps one-based) integer
and name being the "value" to show, which in this case would become: (assuming zero-based)
8 9a
9 9b
10 9c
That is, if there are no other parted tracks like this before no. 9.

The other usage is more restrictive, using something like track and part where part is an arbitrary string
and track is a one-based integer. It would handle this case, but perhaps not others.