[vorbis] Metadata format.

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Thu Oct 16 17:13:02 PDT 2003

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 01:33:41AM +0200, Oscar Sundbom wrote:
| On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 18:17:14 -0500
| Graham Mitchell <graham at grahammitchell.com> wrote:
|
| > I think you'll find that they're really, really, really opposed to the idea.
| > And you thought people got reactionary when it's suggested that Vorbis tags
| > be made machine-parsable....
|
| Heh. I'm waiting with anticipation. :)

Okay.  I'm really, /really/, *really* opposed to the idea! :-)

I believe it has been tried - perhaps unintentionally, or through
ignorance - by various (broken!) ripper apps which just tried to tack
ID3 data onto the end of a stream, be it Vorbis or MP3.  Fortunately, we
seem to have moved on from there.

| > I don't think of ID3v2 as anything even remotely resembling a proper metadata
| > solution.

Agreed.  It is, in many ways, a lot worse than the current Vorbis tags.

| Actually, I mostly want to get the ball rolling. For example, why
| isn't it a proper metadata system and what would (the proverbial) we
| want out of the Ogg/Vorbis metadata.

We want to be able to whine about Vorbis tags and their inferiority
compared to a nonexistent metadata system on mailing lists forever
without actually ever writing anything concrete ... :-P

| Should the aim be for a single Ogg metadata format or aiming only
| towards Vorbis, etc.

Well, Flac already supports Vorbis comments; my understanding is that if
an improved metadata standard was devised for Vorbis, it would be simple
to shove that into a Flac file somewhere.  I'm not too sure about Speex.
Certainly tying the metadata too closely to vorbis sounds like a bad
idea.

Cheers,

Cameron.