[vorbis] Total Tracks Tag?

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Mon Oct 13 12:50:03 PDT 2003

Tom Felker wrote:
> > _You_ want to cripple tags, not me.  And I'm not advocating a metadata
> > system; I just want the Ogg community to finally start creating one.
>
> By all means, yes, let's get started.  What would be your ideal system in Ogg?

It doesn't matter what I want; if I had a really great vision for how to
make the ideal metadata system, we would already have it by now.

> Basically, I'm asking how it would be implemented, and how it would be used
> by players.  (This question is not loaded, I honestly want to know.)

It would be just another substream.  I couldn't care less for the format.

> In the meantime, however, tags are filling the metadata vacuum, they're not
> doing a good job, and Vorbis programs aren't interacting well.

Yes.  And that is more because of the very nature of tags, than lack of
standardization.