[vorbis] Speed of ov_open (Vorbisfile)

Andy Robinson andy at seventhstring.com
Mon Oct 20 07:05:24 PDT 2003

The documentation for ov_open warns us that this func can be fairly time
consuming.

My app collects info about the file once (how many channels, total
length etc) but may then open it for reading several times, even
simultaneously from different threads.

It seems to me it would be very useful to be able to open a file a
second time without scanning it all over again, by having a variant form
of ov_open (& ov_open_callbacks) which would take an additional
parameter - a pointer to an already-open OggVorbis_File - and "clone"
this info to open very quickly.

Is this a reasonable idea? Is there already a way of doing it? I'll be
grateful for suggestions.

Andy Robinson, Seventh String Software, www.seventhstring.demon.co.uk