[vorbis] vorbis is dying? [aac is taking over?]

Caleb caleb_ownz at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 17 04:02:31 PDT 2003

Hey,

It seems that ogg/vorbis is being slowly forgotten..

It used to have really alot of attention from all around, and it was
the "the" coolest thing !

Now people barely talk about it, most of them now talk about AAC and
how superior it is both in low and high bitrates.

I know that there have been discussions about vorbis 1.01 and 1.1, but
as time passes by we hear no news.

Yeah its great that vorbis now supported by a portable player, but some
thing that were promised that could actually make ogg vorbis great i
have not seen yet.

For example, bitrate peeling.. it is a great concept, but i have yet to
see a good working example for it.
Would be great if the devs released a working peeler.

I expected ogg vorbis to be adopted mostly everwhere.. but it has
failed to do so.. i'm not sure why.. maybe because:
a) mp3 is wide-spread
b) peoples' lack of knowledge on how to convert their CDs to OGG
c) aac is being advertised as "the next big thing".. mostly because of
Apple's iPOD and the online music store.

As far as i know, OGG hasnt been winning alot of hearing tests
recently....

Thanks for listening..