[vorbis] Desirable Properties of a Real Metadata Format

Moz lists at moz.co.nz
Fri Oct 17 02:14:47 PDT 2003

John wrote:
> No one has said it had to be streamable. Even if it isn't, how likely is it
> that stream creators are going to want to pack so much metadata into streams
> that it matters whether you wait for the whole metadata section or not.

My suspicion is that streamers will rip out all the metadata and just
use the existing tags (and probably not many of those). It does seem
to be the obvious solution.

> it's not like the data will be so great compared to track size

You seem to think I'm kidding about putting images in the metadata. I'm not.

The worst case in terms of metadata as a proportion of data is
probably the promotional CD singles that I seem to accumulate. They
sometimes contain just one track, but have the full metadata payload -
up to four sides of artwork, full band biography + bibliography,
lyrics and so on. I can see that totalling a meg or so, compared to
3-5MB for the actual song.

mailto:lists at moz.co.nz
Moz's bike site: http://www.mozbike.com