[vorbis] Desirable Properties of a Real Metadata Format

Nathan I. Sharfi nisharfi at csupomona.edu
Thu Oct 16 23:17:46 PDT 2003

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Jack Moffitt wrote:

> > I suggest gzipped XML. Feel free to suggest something that isn't XML if you
> > dislike it that much.
>
> You cannot use XML for streamable metadata, at least not without
> changing what you mean by XML.  I wish people would please stop bringing
> this up.
>
> jack.

Evidently I didn't convey 1) that in my mind this would be in one huge lump
at the beginning of the stream before the Vorbis/FLAC/Speex/whatever data or
2) my nearly boundless naivete (I don't really know how Ogg handles random
blobs of what is text or base64'd binary things (I can imagine that would
cause quite a few people to cringe...))

That said,  why won't it work?