[vorbis] Desirable Properties of a Real Metadata Format

Nathan I. Sharfi nisharfi at csupomona.edu
Thu Oct 16 22:45:11 PDT 2003

I suggest gzipped XML. Feel free to suggest something that isn't XML if you
dislike it that much.

Anyhow, as a practical matter, Vorbis-style metadata lacks a Really Good Way
to have the same data in multiple languages. Or at least a widely-agreed
upon way. So, howzabout...

<data>
<title xml:lang='en'>Mars, the Bringer of War</title>
<title xml:lang='de'>Mars, der &#x00dc;berbringer des Krieges</title>
<title xml:lang='fr'>Mars, qui apporte la guerre</title>
</data>

It's not just this /The Planets/ album that does this;
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/chamberchoir has a number of weird things about its
track titles, including "13. I Think Upon the Faithfull [sic] Day" and to a
slightly lesser extent, "10. The Cherubimic [sic] Hymn". At least if the
original names were in the file...well, that'd be nice. I guess.

Does anyone have any idea how to deal with track num, er, indices like "9a,
9b", &c.? The best I can suggest is sorting numerically (i.e., not
lexicographically) and then allowing the inclusion of some sort of
comparison function...

Ew.