[vorbis] Total Tracks Tag?

Nathan I. Sharfi nisharfi at csupomona.edu
Thu Oct 9 11:58:35 PDT 2003

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Colin D Bennett wrote:

> technically). But seriously, I own hundreds of CDs and I've never seen a
> CD that didn't use track numbers starting with 1 with each next track
> being 1 greater than the previous track. I don't believe the Red Book
> spec provides any other way to do it.

I have a Dave Matthews Band album that has a track titled "#34" and it's
track number 34, created by stuffing itty bitty tracks between, say, track
10 and 34. I have no interest in keeping these things around, so I'm quite
likely to simply delete tracks [11, 33].

> My concern with metadata is that (1) there's no standard so how can
> programs like audio players and CD rippers use the metadata information?
> And (2) having the metadata stored 'physically' seprate (as in, not in
> the same file and probably not even the same directory) means that you
> need way to link both from the Ogg file to the metadata record, and
> vice-versa. Certainly using a file path is not acceptable, I move my
> files around a lot, I might access my music from another machine on the
> network mounting my music under a different directory, and so on.
> Possibly, using a tuple of Artist Name/Track Name to uniquely identify
> the track would work.

I'd bet that there's some wily artist out there who doesn't name their
tracks or gives them all the same name.